skip navigation

Karen Lazik

I grew up in the WNY area. I attended the Kenmore Town of Tonawanda schools and remained in the area for my academic pursuits. I have a BA in psychology, an MA in communication, an EdM and CAS in school counseling (all from SUNY, University at Buffalo).

COURSE WORK OFFERED EACH FALL AND SPRING SEMESTERS INCLUDE:

SSC 320 Issues in Developmental Disabilities

ACADEMIC/PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES:

I’ve worked in the health and human services field for over 25 years. I am currently an Associate Vice Presidential with People Inc. and also serve on the Board of Directors for Gateway-Longview, Inc. My passion and experience has been in providing services to individuals with developmental disabilities. I served on the Erie County Office for the Disabled Advisory Board from 2011-2013, and have attended various leadership organizations and trainings including: Leadership Buffalo (Class of 2013), Canisius College Leadership Program for Women (2010) and The National Leadership Consortium on Developmental Disabilities (2011 Winter Leadership Institute). I also received my Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certification through the United Way in 2010.  I’ve been teaching in the Social Sciences  IDP since 2012.

Favorite Book:  I love all books by Stephen King, my favorite author! 

Recent Favorite Movie:  I recently read and saw “Room.” I love many movies so it is difficult to select one. I love reading books and then seeing the movie afterward (cannot do it in reverse however). I tend to like disturbing or suspenseful movies but not anything too violent.

Miscellaneous:  I am an animal lover and currently own two husky shepherds that I’ve adopted from two local rescue organizations.

Memorable Event at UB:

My favorite memory from UB is playing in the UB Civic Symphony as an undergraduate student and attending the various speaker series in the Alumni arena (including Al Gore and Khaled Hosseini).