skip navigation

Ashley Machovec

Originally from Binghamton, NY, I came to University at Buffalo as a transfer student from my local community college. After switching my major a few times, I chose to be an early childhood education concentration with a teaching and speech pathology minor.

Taking a wrong turn on main street in Buffalo, I ended up at St. Mary’s School for the Deaf, where I decided to do my teaching observations, and afterwards, was offered a position as a substitute teacher assistant. Working in this school with the hearing impaired sparked a passion in me, and I decided to apply to grad schools to become a teacher of the deaf. I have been accepted to Columbia Universities Deaf an Hard of Hearing program at Teachers College where I will be pursuing my dream career of becoming a teacher of the deaf, along with becoming a certified auditory verbal therapist. Never get discouraged when you feel like you don’t have a place or a passion, when one door closes, another one opens!

Favorite Book: Harry Potter Series

Favorite Movies: Harry Potter, Fight Club, Shutter Island

Hobbies/interest: Gymnastics, I was a competitive gymnast for 10 years, DIY Projects, Cooking

Misc: Spring Break 2013 I traveled to Honduras with a group called global brigades to build latrines, concrete floors, stoves and sewage systems for families in need, along with traveling to schools to teach the children about health and hygiene. Hands down one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve had.